Saturday, November 27, 2010

Don't do Paris on your own!

That's just my suggestion anyway. I can see why Paris is so romantic. You can't avoid it. I haven't even thought about anything remotely romantic and moments just keep getting thrown at you. These are my moments of romance in Paris. Walking out of a metro station and seeing it snowing. It's a moment that you just want to turn to some beautiful French lady and kiss her. It's just such a pretty time of year and simply beautiful! Another being at the Eiffel Tower on the hour at night, thousands of light bulbs go off for 5 minutes. It's cold and it's the perfect moment to wrap your arms around the one you love and just watch it. It's just another moment of just sheer beauty. There are a lot of moments on this trip that i think other people would enjoy and moments would be good to share. But, Paris just throws romantic moments at you time after time. I love it but it does get a bit lonely. Walking the Champs Élysées at night, Arc De Triomphe lit up, the whole street lit with christmas lights, markets open, delicious food everywhere. It just has that romantic aura, so many couples out too. I know my time will come, but this place is something special. I know romance has changed over the years, and it seems to be dying a slow death in Australia. And it's a generation things too. On my last afternoon at the Cinque Terre, the sunset old couple were there, but a young couple sat at another bench. Old couple, mans arm around his wife, young couple, they both get their phones out...... I'm a bit of an old romantic and i value the courting period. Opening doors, pulling chairs out, giving the window seat up. I know a woman can do it on her own, but these subtle things are symbolic and they have been instilled in my by my mum. And i know she's proud of the son she has raised. Straight out of the dumpster! Thanks for getting me out ma!

Day one in Paris was going to be a day of getting lost. It turned out to be a well oiled day of getting things done and sights ticked off. I headed to the department store that i had been advised by my cab driver the night before. It was called FNAC, i nearly said bless you. It is hard even to find out how they spell things, their alphabet is similar but the pronunciation is quite different. I had been warned by many about the French arrogance to people who speak English. So i just don't answer, they eventually pick up you don't speak french. But I am still in Italian mode. I only have one more day in Paris so the French translator has had it easy. The camera that i would like would cost €1989, a bit out of my price range. First trip was to the end of the Champs Élysées where you will find Concorde, and a ferris wheel. There you could see the Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe and the Louvre. I decided to head to the Louvre, little to no line at all. I managed to see the all the masterpieces, and came across a few paintings that really stood out and told a story. I rarely find paintings that hit me emotionally, but with these few i could really feel what the painter was trying to portray. That was pretty awesome. There are a lot of cool things, nice paintings, but only a few impressed me. And looking at Venus De Milo all i could think of was Homer Simpson grabbing the gummi Venus off the babysitters ass. Hmmm gummi Venus. I was there for a few hours before heading to Notre Dame. I think i have seen too many massive cathedrals of late, it was impressive, but it's stacked up against the Duomo in Florence and St Peters Basilica in Vatican City. Next on my list was the Eiffel Tower, but i wanted to visit it at night. Luckily for me I arrived at 9:50pm, and i was sure something happened on the hour at night. So i walked to a good position, set up my little camera, come on little camera! 

Wow, beautiful, gorgeous and another moment of single romance! At that point when all the little lights go off sparkling on the Eiffel Tower there is a big awwwww from everyone, even me. Oops don't forget to get some photos! Sometimes photos can ruin a moment, but over time i have realised sometimes are meant to be taken in. And without my proper camera most moments for the rest of this trip will be taken in more than they would have previously. I have taken a lot less pictures since my creative powers are somewhat diminished by my little camera. I can't see the shot as clear throughout the viewfinder (it's a LCD viewfinder) so everything you look for in a photo you can't really see it. If i use the screen you tend to a) lose battery power quickly and, b) lose your horizons, crooked photos and monuments not exactly where you want them. When you have a good camera up to your eye you see everything. Everywhere I've been i have wanted to give it the beauty as I see it, and i feel a bit sad i can't do that anymore. I realize how important a good camera is to me. And I'm glad i did bring a back up camera. Even though i can't get what i want. It feels a bit of a waste to be here and not give it the beautiful justice it deserves. I'm not the best photographer, but I'm not getting what i want with my photos and it's very frustrating. The little camera is very good for what it is and if someone wants a little ultra zoom camera then I'd highly suggest it. Colours are great. 

Today was a pretty cruisey day. Went to the Arc De Triomphe up close today and walked down the Champs Élysées. This is where the final stage of the Tour De France is run, they do about a handful of laps of the city before the big and most prestigious sprint finish i think in cycling. I can see why they stick to the curb! I went up the Eiffel Tower, walked up to the second level, then had to take the elevator the rest of the way. Some people are so unfit, they look fit but they are huffy and puffing. Mind you I'm the stair master after St Peters and the Cinque Terre! The remaining steps to the top were closed so the lift was the only way to the top. Im not afraid of heights, i can lean on windows of the Sydney tower, stand of the edge of Mt Vesuvius and peer over the Eiffel Tower but the lift certainly gave me a bot of vertigo, as you see the world drop from you. So not afraid of heights, but not a fan of falling. You know those dreams where your falling and you wake up just before you hit the ground, what a rush! Loved the tower of terror, but the giant drop can get fucked, did it once, swore the whole way down, like Homer's falling into the black hole in 3D, crap crap crap crap....... But i used the f word! A beautiful view of a beautiful city, and bloody cold too! Bit of a romantic moment up there too, i could see the couples around me soaking it in. I was happy for them, it's something special up there. If you can tackle a few stairs do the walk up, you'll probably get up quicker! The line for the elevator is very long and this is nearly winter so it's not even tourist season. Next up was me trying to find the catacombs...... I knew where it was on the map. But i couldn't find it. I did arrive after 4pm so it was closed, but i found the cemetery near it. I thought that was it the catacombs! I was wondering why i was told not to wear my best shoes???! Yesterday was a late start due to being up till 3am the last few nights trying to organise the following weeks ahead. 

I think my only regret is that i have missed out on places everywhere i have gone. I cut Vienna and Prague from the original trip plan. There is only so much you can see in the time you give it. And the major cities i have given them three days and i know I've missed heaps of things, but i always see what i am interested in first then advice from friends and family. I want to see the Pantheon, this is where Marie Curie is resting. I'll take my level five radiation suit, cause that little lady was packing some heat! I would like to see the Catacombs and the Sacré Cœur. I'm sure many Parisians have missed out some of their local sights too. Without my camera and without a special lady, i feel my time in Paris could end a day early. I'm going to miss Euro Disney too, not to mention the palace of Versailles. If i did leave Paris tonight i could see the Race of Champions in Dusseldorf tomorrow night. I know all the women reading this would give a massive sigh to that! It's hard to explain what its like without my trusty camera in my bag, on my arm or up to my eye. It's just like the paintings in the Louvre, some really tell a story, some are just paintings of stuff. My photos now feel like they are just tourist shots, i don't have that creative control. I'm still trying, but i can't feel these photos.

Tonight i headed back to the Champs Élysées for the markets they have there. I caught a glimpse of them last night and i thought I'd try them again tonight. The Champs was lit up all the way down to the Arc. I'd just be repeating the stunning, gorgeous, beautiful and romantics comments i have made numerous times. There was nothing that grabbed me, and markets are mainly for women. I had a big fight with someone about markets. Its not my thing, but I'm happy to do what you really want to do. I'm happy that you're happy. Wasn't enough. I did spot one thing that took my fancy, a hot waffle with melted chocolate drizzled over it! It was pretty damn good, and messy. The best kind of chocolate! I have acquired an addiction to I think they are called zanimos??? We used to have them back home, but like all good things they bugger off! Like pineapple liquorice. They are made by Cadbury and are like McDonalds cookies but one side dipped in chocolate! Fukin yum! I'll need a shipment back home or a patch. I still have a very varied eating schedule and quite often forget to eat until 4-5pm, too much to do. An apple in the morning does the trick! Pink lady's are in season over here! 

There are so many moments here that are making me smile even without my camera. Buskers playing music that reminds you of good times. Smells that make you want to eat. And an aura in the city that makes you want to fall in love again.

No comments:

Post a Comment